The absence of a blog post for a while has been bugging me, but then I was sitting around listening to my wide array of music and thought about the influences that music has had, for me, on the writing process.
This may not be the same for everyone so I will just talk about my own experiences here…
I have found that every so often a piece of music, whatever genre, has a profound effect on my mind – my imagination starts to concoct images and scenes to fit the song/tune that I’m listening to. Many songs from a diverse number of artists have just implanted themselves into my creative brain and mixed with my furtive imagination to produce some incredible mental images and scenes.
I have found that a lot of songs have spawned a great variety of battle scenes that I have incorporated into my work, both online (written fantasy role-play forum) and offline.
Examples of such artists are:
- Within Temptaion – http://www.within-temptation.com/
- Killswitch Engage – http://www.killswitchengage.com/
- Amorphis – http://amorphis.net/
- Nobuo Uematsu – http://www.squareenixmusic.com/composers/uematsu/index.shtml
- Tsuyoshi Sekito – http://www.squareenixmusic.com/composers/sekito/index.shtml
- Sirenia – http://www.mortenveland.com/sirenia/
- Two Steps From Hell – http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/
- Immediate Music – http://www.immediatemusic.com/
- and finally… Grave Digger – http://www.grave-digger-clan.com//
These are just a few. I have found these artists, above, invaluable in the creative process. Whenever I get stuck on how to play something out I usually try and find a song or tune that I feel would fit into the scene I am on. I therefore listen to it intently and allow my mind to create – this is a major part of me and my writing and I will continue with it whenever I am stumped.